Banana Loaf Cake

June 21, 2013

It's the end of the end of term and, one by one, all of my flatmates are moving out. What we're left with is a little more space in the fridge, and some mouldy food that they have left behind. Seeing some bananas about to go to waste, I rescued them deciding to take the opportunity to bake a banana cake.
Banana cake is one of those recipes that I have always wanted to be able to conjure up spontaneously, but when I have attempted one it has always been a little disappointing and never quite satisfied- it seems that I hadn't tried the right recipe that worked for me. I was always left feeling pretty underwhelmed; the cake was always too dense and flavourless.
After finding this recipe, that promised all that I desired, I couldn't resist but give it another go. I was not disappointed: after removing my cake from the oven, I was greeted with a moist, light cake, that actually tasted of banana!
It can be enjoyed with a little butter and a nice hot cup of tea, but the butter is entirely optional, (the tea isn't.) I think that most baked treats are best when still a little warm from the oven- so that's when I indulged in my slice of cake. 
Unfortunately I can't say how long it would actually keep because it didn't hang around for long.

Now that I'm on my summer holiday I have time to do some more reading, so my slice of cake was accompanied by 'The Woman in White', (a review of which will soon follow based on how much I'm enjoying it, and how quickly I'm getting through it.)
This cake is the perfect afternoon snack for a lazy weekend or to feed some hungry visitors after a long walk. I baked mine in anticipation for a picnic during which we watched an outdoor showing of the play A Midsummer Night's Dream, which all seemed very apt at the time. Today it feels rather less like summer, but if we do get some more picnic weather, I would highly recommend giving this a go.

I will definitely be baking this again, and next time I might experiment a little by adding walnuts, chocolate chips, dates or cinnamon. I'm hoping this will become a staple that I can put together effortlessly whenever there are some overly ripe bananas.

Do you bake a tasty banana cake? 

What additions do you make to the standard recipe?





3 comments:

  1. TeaDrinkingBookLover28 June 2013 at 17:56

    I loved it, it didn't take me too long because it was so gripping! It has been a while since I've read a mystery kind of story, and a happy ending- I have missed those! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. TeaDrinkingBookLover28 June 2013 at 17:59

    That sounds so good, I can't wait to add some cinnamon in the more festive and colder months. Absolutely, I know that if I'm feeling stressed with Uni work, such an easy bake topped with peanut butter or nutella will make me feel ready to take anything on! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. TeaDrinkingBookLover28 June 2013 at 18:02

    I think banana muffins would have been a better idea, as they might allow for better rationing!
    It really is! I have had so many books accumulating on my list for this past year and getting round to reading them is so satisfying :)
    Oh really, I'd love to know what you end up thinking. I tried a Zadie Smith novel quite a few years ago and it's one of the only books that I haven't finished! Maybe I was too young and should give her another shot. X

    ReplyDelete